National Physical Therapy Awareness Month
Published on October 4, 2018
With all the excitement that this month brings, it’s easy to forget that National Physical Therapy Month is in October. Physical Therapy is just one of the many forms of treatment that we offer at Paragon Rehabilitation, but its importance cannot be understated.
Dating back to the First World War, physical therapy was originally adopted as a means of treating wounded soldiers. Initially known as “reconstruction aides”, the first physical therapists were graduates of Walter Reed Hospital and Reed College. As years passed, technology and medicine rapidly evolved to meet the needs of those returning from war. Eventually, after the development of educational and training programs, physical therapy came to be a recognized profession.
The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) defines physical therapy as “the treatment of disease, injury, or deformity by physical methods such as massage, heat treatment, and exercise rather than by drugs or surgery”. Here at Paragon, treatment options include:
- Motion and Flexibility exercises
- Progressive Resistive exercises (PRE exercises)
- Postural Exercises
- Balance Training
- Education geared towards bed mobility, transfers, and ambulation
These forms of treatment have proven to be successful for countless patients, and serve to remind us why Physical Therapy is so important. This year, the APTA honors National Physical Therapy month with the #ChoosePT campaign. This campaign seeks to draw awareness to the effectiveness and safety of physical therapy when compared to opioid use for treating chronic pain conditions. Want to get involved? Here’s how the APTA website says you can help out:
- Follow @MoveForwardPT on Facebook and Twitter
- Host a session for other health care providers to learn about a physical therapist’s role in pain management.
- Offer to assist APTA’s public and media relations staff with placing the TV and radio public service announcement in your community. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for step-by-step instructions.
For more ways to help spread awareness, check out http://www.apta.org/NPTM/.
To see how Paragon is celebrating National Physical Therapy Month, be sure to follow us on Facebook and Twitter!